Saturday, April 19, 2008

One Claw Less (II)

Today before the vet visit for Braun's review:

We kept Skoda and Mikki away in the study in the morning so Braun was free to "roam" the house. I think she enjoyed the breather.







After the vet visit:


Braun still has the cone around her neck. She will have to wear the cone for another week :( There was some blackish stuff on her wound. I had thought it was some medication Dr D had applied (ie the same stuff Dr K applied the last time when Braun encountered a similar mishap). It was actually dried blood. During the week if I applied a little pressure when cleaning the wound (I wanted to remove the blackish stuff), Braun would yelp. Seeing her reaction, I just did some surface cleaning and then applied the Baneocin powder. It turned out the cleaning didn't do any good. Her wound is inflammed.

Today, it was Dr QH on duty (Dr K has been on leave since last week). She cleaned up the blackish stuff, trimmed away some of the fur in the area and prescribed an additional ointment (Centellase). Dr QH showed us how to do the cleaning properly (looks like it is unavoidable to apply some slight pressure). There was a big black dog barking at the top of his lungs in one of the cages in the treatment area. He just had quite a fair bit of maggots (!) removed from his body. The packet of maggots was placed on the treatment table. Definitely not for the faint-hearted, yucks! I whisked Braun out of the treatment area as soon as the demo was done. We requested for the clinic to clean up her ears (the base was oily and there were some brownish particles). Her ears get oily easily so we clean her ears like once every three weeks. She tends to get uncomfortable when we do the cleaning so I thought better let the experts do it this time round.

Braun was tired out from the vet visit. After giving her some treats, she promptly took a nap outside the toilet.



This photo was taken in the storeroom so the wound looks black.

Braun perked up after the power nap. Here she was getting playful, "dangling" her head from the top of the newspaper pile.

I was looking forward to "liberating" Braun after the review. Brought tuna treats as a reward for her (the girls love tuna but I'd only give this to them once in a blue moon). The celebration will have to wait. Come Monday, she'll have to be placed in isolation when we are at work. This girl wouldn't quit going for the high spots. I caught her getting ready to leap a few times in her present state (she got more than a round of shelling from the Mouse). Mikki doesn't take well to seeing Braun with the cone around her neck. When their paths cross, Mikki would scrowl at Braun (like a cobra going to strike), hunch her back and do mini prances sideways (this part is quite a comical sight, hahaha...). I read somewhere such behaviour might be due to fear rather than a display of aggression. Braun gets jittery at sudden and loud noises and will scamper to take cover. How is she going to run fast and safely in her present state? Ok, so the beans will do what is best for her, that is, stay firm and make her wear the cone for another week; be more "daring" when cleaning the wound; AND "heartlessly" stick by her imprisonment.

1 comment:

auntie p said...

Poor Braun... sayang.