Sunday, October 01, 2006

Hearing It from a Cat: Facing Oneself

A colleague recently lent me a book that I was immediately interested in. It is a compilation of cat drawings peppered with the feline's take/perspective/philosophy on life. As I read, some of the observations got me nodding in agreement, some got me laughing, some got me thinking and some I didn't understand. The author is a famous Hong Kong comic artist, Cai Zhi Zhong so the writings are in Chinese. The title is "Mao Ke Xuan Yan". Too bad the book is no longer available in the bookstores, otherwise I'll get my own copy.

I extracted 10 of the quotes which I particularly liked. I'll translate the gist of the quotes in English, but they're still best appreciated in Chinese. There is the comments box so if you wanna help to bring out the essence of the quote, don't be shy hor.

Here is the first one:

"Unless we ourselves allow it, no one can make us unhappy. Unless we accede to it, no one has the ability to make us happy. The reason why we dare not face the problem is because we dare not encounter the true self."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, chim translation leh

But i always wonder, how would we ever know what a cat like/dislike/thinks?
Is that a subconscious extention of our wants in a cat (like a mirror image or alter ego of us) or something simpler?

I don't know, perhaps we never will

Bird

MightyMouse said...

It's not difficult to know what a cat like/dislike. Skoda and Braun have no problems in expressing this to Grimlock and I. They are very VOCAL (different tones of meowing mean different messags), DIRECT (can tell from their body language eg showing affection when they rub against our legs or bitting which is the other extreme to show irritance or trying to play) and ASSERTIVE (they'll make sure you understand and comply to their wishes).

We can read a cat's mind to some extend, but not the entire mental/psychological make-up. It's like Garfield - it's the author speaking through him. There are some things we can draw though from a cat's behaviour. You'll learn when you've a cat :)