On Mon, 13 Nov, I called up SPCA in the morning to ask about the two kittens. Grimlock and I are now more mentally prepared to take them in if they are still alive. They are too young to have their lives so abruptly terminated. The plan is to “stabilize” them and then put them up for adoption when they turn two months old. At this point in time, don’t think we would want to keep four cats.
I was pissed off by the SPCA lady who attended to me. Got an earful from her on why I let the pest control company to bring them in to SPCA in the first place. They also don’t entertain enquiries on how the kittens are doing, unless I’m interested in adopting them. She would check if the kittens are still alive and call me back. It was about two hours later that I heard from her – it seemed like ages. The kittens are alive and I have to pick them up by 4pm, otherwise they would be put to sleep (the vet would still be around to do that, aaarrgggghhhh). Took urgent leave, found an empty box and rushed down. It was drizzling.
While waiting for the worker to bring the kittens out, I took a quick look around the place. I could tell that SPCA has its hands full with lots of animals. Signed their adoption papers and whisked them off to the vet for a general checkup. The vet said they seemed to be doing OK. Got some instructions from her on what to feed and how to litter-train the little fellas. The dark-coat one is a boy and the one with an off-white chest is a girl. They are about one-month old. Vet prescribed dewormer and their first vaccination shots will be due in one month’s time. It would be OK to bathe them but to do this one after another and to use the hair dryer to dry them thoroughly. Went to the pet supplies shop next door and bought one tub of kittens’ milk powder and one can of wet food.
Three youngsters brought in a tiny kitten to see the vet. Good to see children develop a love for animals from young.
Once I touched home, attended to Skoda and Braun first; cleared their litter tray, topped up kibbles and kept them away in their room. Turned on heater, took out bathing things and the spare litter tray and set up the cage (bought this when we got Skoda but she only used it for a day – hated to be encaged). The little fellas were snoozing. Gave them a quick bath, towel and blow dry and then fed them food. Good to see them eating heartily. The cage will be kept in the study for now until two weeks later when we will to introduce them to the ‘big’ sisters. Thinking back on how we introduced Braun to Skoda, this is guaranteed to drive adrenalin (not an enjoyable type of thrill).
By now, Skoda and Braun are aware that there is “something” in the Cove. They peep under the door and sniff suspiciously at our hands and legs. Don’t think Braun would be too upset (she can be bribed with treats) with the “intruders” but Skoda wouldn’t be taking it too well. At first there was only her, then Braun came and now two more. Will have to assure her that she is the Alpha cat.
DAY ONE (MON, 13 NOV)
Presenting the latest additions @ The Cove!
Ah Gal (in front) and Ah Boy (in the background)
"Hello, I'm Ah Gal!"
The two little fellas pee and poo a lot (poo is runny, reminds me of Mr Softee, ha ha) and the cage will end up quite messy because they are not litter-trained yet. They are able to eat on their own. Since they came, we’ve been waking up at 6am to start cleaning and feeding “two big and two small ones”. Tiring no doubt but I’m glad to be doing something for the little fellas. Very thankful that I’ve a “partner in crime” a.k.a. Grimlock. I wouldn’t be able to do this without his blessing and support. Once they are litter-trained, it will be more manageable.
My immediate task is to monitor and assess their runny poo situation. Diarrhea can be fatal for young kittens. Called up the vet clinic for advice. Runny poo is normal for kittens of their age but have to keep an eye that it is not the watery type. May also be due to them eating wet food or the brand of the milk powder.
Calling them Ah Boy and Ah Gal for now. Will search for “original” names (less conventional ones) that mean Fighter or Survivor.
They finished their first can of wet food so bought another can of a different brand on Thur, 16 Nov which Ah Boy didn’t like/eat. Went to pet supplies shop again yesterday. Shop assistant who had hand-raised three baby kittens (younger than Ah Boy and Ah Gal) suggested stopping wet food and to give kibbles and milk. Bought one small packet of kittens’ kibbles and one new tub of milk powder.
Saw Ah Boy puking yesterday night. This explains the milky-looking blobs in the cage! Could be caused by the change in brand of wet food or he can’t take the brand itself. Shall give the reminder to Skoda and Braun as a treat. I think Ah Boy puked again this morning. He appears lethargic. Will have to monitor closely today and if the puking persists, will bring him to the vet tomorrow morning. Hope it is nothing serious.
DAY 5 (FRI, 17 NOV)






Skoda (29 Oct 2005 - 29 May 2015 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Braun (18 Mar 2006 - 11 Jun 2013 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Mikki
No comments:
Post a Comment