When a cat wants attention, he/she knows exactly how to get it. In my case, I'm often amused how my girl makes her desire so plainly clear to me; and her way of telling me 'enough is enough' (when I'm very engrossed with my own activity).
One afternoon, while I was busy with writing out my blog posting, Skoda leapt up the study table and plonked herself right smack in front of the keyboard. Well, you see, Skoda is a little on the broad side so there was no way I could continue with my writing. What happened next was precisely what she 'plotted' of (smart girl!). I promptly dispensed chin rubs, hugs and kisses lor! I was flattered she came to seek me out. For a while, I wondered who might be the one enjoying the attention more :)
Another time, I was editing a newsletter on the coffee table. Just when my brows were getting tightly knitted, Skoda leapt up the table in lightning speed and plonked herself right on the newsletter, and looked up at me altogether doe-eyed. I chided her (lovingly lah!) and I instantly lightened up (the editing was getting quite intensive).
During Braun's early days at the Cove, one of her favourite habits was to drop herself on the newspapers when I was reading them. She didn't 'disturb' Grimlock that way. That was her way of asking me to stroke her and for chin rubs. She doesn't do that as much now but it remains as something mutual between me and her.
Mikki is expressive in her own ways. She'll rub her body against our legs and sometimes permit us to stroke her (yup, she calls the shots). When I'm doing my work in the study, she'll join me and snuggle up in the cosy corner. This is her way of staying close to me - we need not be in physical contact but yet I'm well on her radar :{ In the mornings while I get ready to go to work, she'll stay in the room with me (it is her me-time with me, I keep the other two out). At times, she'll yowl at me to tell me which cupboard door to open (for her to pop in and explore).
And so, who says cats are aloof?!?! They have so much in-between the ears (highly intelligent); capable of springing surprises ever so often (and one surprise is quite different from another); maintain a comfortable distance in the relationships they provide; and they have very simple needs of which they are vocal about (nothing too complex to understand and I prefer it that these be made known). These characteristics well describe what I find so charming and love about cats :) I see parts of myself in them and have learned quite a bit from them - which is why my girls are part of my family (NOT pets). However, they in no way, are substitutes for children. I was quite amused of a recent article which reported that having pets may provide good training for parenting. What happens then when the human kid comes along? I didn't read the article for myself so I shan't comment further.
Monday, March 09, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Skoda (29 Oct 2005 - 29 May 2015 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Braun (18 Mar 2006 - 11 Jun 2013 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Mikki
1 comment:
rosie and blackie in particular will fight for the space between the keyboard and the table edge so that we have to type around them. they are trained enough not to touch the keyboard but like skoda, sometimes the rolls of fats just get in the way... :)
Post a Comment