Overheard a colleague's conversation in the office yesterday around 6pm. While doing some housekeeping at the basement carpark, the Estates folks found a mother cat and her litter of four young kittens. Two of the kittens had passed on. Mother cat was sent in to SPCA on Thurs, 9 Nov. The remaining kittens would be sent in to SPCA today morning.
I hear that young kittens sent in to SPCA will be put to sleep because of the lack of resources that is needed to take care of them. I called up my Estates colleague and went with him to take a look at the kittens. They are about palm-sized, blue-eyed (as of young kittens) and the body is all grey for both and they can walk on their own. When I walked away, the kittens were meowing. I called Grimlock up to see if we should take in the kittens - discussion was inconclusive.
The kittens should be about two weeks old; will require four to six hourly feeds; and since they are that young, the caregiver will need to stroke the anal area gently to help them pass urine and defecate. Mortality rate is also high because they had been separated from mummy (milk is important to build up their resistance at this tender age) and they probably hadn't eaten for a while. Come Monday when we are back to work, there will be no one to take care of them if we take them in. And the youngest cat we had ever cared for was Skoda who was already three months old when we adopted her.
Called up Braun's 'godpa' and Skoda's 'godma' (their fosters before we adopted them). Asked them the crucial question on what they would do if they were in my shoes; to take them in or walk away. Vote: 1-1. Skoda's 'godma' gave me the contact number of Dawn, the lady at the helm of Cat Welfare Society, to get more information and see what she says. Well, you can guess her inclination. And she doesn't have any foster who can take in the kittens.
Called up Grimlock to update him on the information and opinions. By now, my mind was spinning so I asked him to make the call. Decision was to commit them to SPCA. Felt quite moody and kept wondering if we had deprived the kittens of a better chance of survival. Ate very little for dinner and bought a slice of cheesecake to perk myself up. I consider this a tough decision, worst than having to 'crack' my head over challenging work situations. Reluctantly and with a heavy heart, I sms-ed my Estates colleague that I won't be taking the kittens in nor could I find someone to do so. Stayed up until 3am because mind was busy ticking away. Didn't finish my cheesecake.
I'm still thinking of the kittens even right up to this moment, and probably will for some time to come. Walking away ain't easy, not at all.
Saturday, November 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Skoda (29 Oct 2005 - 29 May 2015 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Braun (18 Mar 2006 - 11 Jun 2013 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Mikki
1 comment:
it is for the better..
you said it, you dun have the resources to make it a better place for them.. so you see, putting them to sleep might be a wiser and more humane choice after all. beside, no one can assuredly say they will survive this trauma...
so ya, It is better for everyone.
Bird
Post a Comment