Thursday, December 14, 2006

"Tick tock, tick tock..."

Another interesting article that I came across some time back in The Straits Times (13 Nov). I almost must read my papers everyday. Rather than yak about my girls (I mean, cats) and rant/whine on and on about myself, depth and a variety of topics are what I want to cover at the Cove - this is how I see myself keeping up with it.

Back to the article.... Well, before I got married, people with "good intentions" kept asking when I would tie the knot, questioning why I wasn't doing so yet (if I thought I was still young) and so on and so forth. Honestly, I then enjoyed my singlehood thoroughly and wished I had more time to do my own things. I got married two years back (finally, to some people) and I would say I still enjoy a lot of personal space. I'm just as happy being married. I just have enough time to juggle between my job, my keep fit regime, housework, spend time with Grimlock, spend time with my girls, and a little time left for my other miscellaneous pursuits. I don't see how I can cope or fit a baby into my schedule.

And people with "good intentions" have been asking when I plan to have a baby, questioning why I wasn't doing so yet (and again reminding me I'm not that young anymore). Some never fail to ask when we meet up and this gets on my nerves at times. Isn't having a baby something personal? Something that Grimlock and I will look into and "take care of"? I can't be rude and tell the person to please mind his/her own business, right? When I was looking for a job, the same questions popped up too at interviews - employers who are worried that some time down the road, I'll be taking three months of maternity leave. Some of these interviewers are married women themselves, perhaps with family too - shouldn't they be more pro-family?

I've friends who would love to have kids but the stork has yet to bring the good news. And if I were in the same plight, wouldn't the questions add salt to the wound? I make it a point not to ask such questions of my married friends without kids. Maybe some had thought I'm replacing kids with cats. Nope, they are two completely different species - they fulfill different needs in my life and both would qualify as my family on equal standing. I'm definitely child-friendly, don't mind reaching out to carry a baby/child (hopefully the baby/child will be nice to me too) and I love the simplicity and innocence of a child. (Some times, I'm a kid myself too, ha ha.) I'm not going to have a baby just because I ought to or to offload the pressure. I'm going to take my time, and yes, I know I'm not that young - thank you.

Responses from the article:

No comments: