Saturday, January 12, 2008

1,000 (Green) Origami Cranes

We finally succeeded in "harvesting" Skoda's urine. We kept her with us in our bedroom last night till about today 5.30am (no litter tray in the room) when she started to "sing the blues". We let her out and kept away the litter trays. At 8am, we isolated her in the study where one litter tray has been placed on "stand-by" that has a plastic bag lining in the lower tray. I think she was already having the urge to pass urine because within minutes, I heard the sound of her digging the pellets. I just wasn't sure whether she "buy big or buy small" (poo or pee) so we kept her inside the study until 9am. This time, Her Royal Highness "granted" our wish :)

The Urinalysis revealed that there is still blood in Skoda's urine; protein and alkaline indicators remained high; and there are traces of infection/bacteria and crystals. Dr K put Skoda back on Clavamox tablets (antibiotics, 62.5mg), to be taken twice daily. This would mean I've to wake up at 5.30am on weekdays :{ so as to feed her one tablet before Grimlock leaves for work. Feeding medication is definitely a two-man operation. Earlier this week, I saw on TV one lady feeding tablet to a cat single-handedly and in a swift manner - wow, I saluate her! Don't think I can master that.

See the "+" signs? These need to be "gotten rid" of...

If Skoda takes well to the antibiotics, we're to re-introduce the Prescription's Hill C/D kibbles in the second week. Hopefully her recent vomiting problem doesn't recur again. Her review is due in two weeks' time (will have to "harvest" a urine sample again). I gathered from Dr K that the main causes for urinal tract infection are: diet, inactivity/lack of exercise, litter tray problem (fussiness) and insufficient water consumption. I also found a useful site on Urinalysis.

You might have seen in drama serials of a certain character been afflicted and his/her loved one would fold 1,000 Origami cranes to wish for speedy recovery. My Google search on the symbolism behind this act yielded the following:

"Legend hold that the crane lives for a thousand years. In Japanese, Chinese and Korean tradition, cranes stand for peace and long life. Folded white paper origami cranes are often placed at memorial parks to symbolize peace. Folded paper cranes are also given to ill people to wish them a quick recovery. It is said that 1000 folded paper origami cranes makes a wish come true."

"For thousands of years the Japanese culture has treasured the crane as a symbol of honor and loyalty. The crane symbol is used on many Japanese heraldic devices and is a theme in many famous works of art. The crane is a majestic bird which mates for life and is extremely loyal to its partner. The bird is strong, graceful and beautiful. Because of the great importance of the crane, the Japanese people feel that a person who folds 1,000 cranes will be granted his or her greatest wish."

And different colours bear different significance.

So, 1,000 Origami cranes - for Skoda's speedy recovery! These are very colourful BUT I visualise them to be all in green...

(12 Jan 08)

2 comments:

Darth Vader Bird said...

awww... hopefully SKoda will recover in time for CNY...

Something to look forward to..

Din't know having a kuching can this so tedious ;)

Bird

MightyMouse said...

Well, keeping a pet means having to provide meals, a roof/shelter, "entertainment" (ie play time), as well as taking care of its well-being (ie grooming and medical care).

Hhhmmmm, successful resolution/management = less hefty medical bills in the longrun AND sick cat = unhappy cat.