Saturday, April 05, 2008

1,000 (Green) Origami Cranes (VI)

I last left off on Skoda's urinary condition that she needs to go on a precription diet. The rascal, you know who I'm referring to, ruled out Prescription Hill's; she would rather starve than eat the kibbles. The beans ruled out IAMS. That leaves us with Waltham Urinary S/O (LP34). The manufacturer is Royal Canin so hopefully Her Royal Highness would take to it. The ingredients list is not published on the Internet so we ordered the smallest packaging (1.5kg - S$26.75) for a trial.


The claim: A complete dietic food for cats. Its urine acidifying properties and its low level of magnesium make it suitable for dissolving struvite uroliths and reducing their recurrence. It is also formulated to combat lower urinary tract disorders.

  • Dissolves all types of struvite uroliths;
  • Lowers the concentration of ions contributing to crystal formulation;
  • Urine dilution ensures a urinary environment unfavourable to the development of struvite and calcium oxalate uroliths; and
  • Catarius glycosaminoglycans which are naturally present in the mucous membrane of a healthy bladder.
I'm not too impressed with the ingredients list:
Rice, Wheat gluten, Dehydrated poultry meat (min 27%), Maize flour, Animal fats, Maize gluten, Hydrated animal proteins, Minerals, Vegetable fibres, Beet pulp, Fructo-oligo-saccharides, Fish oil, Soya oil, Egg powder, DL-methionine, Hydralysed crustaceans (source of glucosamine), Taurine & Marigold extract (source of glucosamine).

Average analysis (%): Protein-34.5/ Fat-15/Ash-7.3/ Fibre-2.7/ Calcium-0.8/ Phosphorous-0.7/ Sodium-0.9/ Magnesium-0.05/ Potassium-1 / Chloride-1.9/ Sulphur-0.5

We started Skoda on the new diet food yesterday night (mixed with the existing Nutro Maintenance formula). Her "reaction" has been so-far-so-good, ie more receptive than when we tried Precription Hill's. Will gradually increase the Waltham portion. Fingers crossed...

To increase the girls' water intake, they are now given wet food on alternate days of the week (wet food comprises of 75% water content). Skoda is warming up to wet food so we might give them wet food for dinner daily. The other two love wet food!

Once the current pack of Nutro kibbles is finished, we'll be switching over to another mainstream brand of kibbles. The girls are shredding a lot more fur, their poo smell stronger and recurrence of hairballs while on Nutro (as compared to Royal Canin Indoor formula formerly). I don't think the Waltham formula presents a balanced diet - yes, I know I'm not a vet and ok, maybe it does help in managing urinary conditions. On the latter, we'll find out when Skoda is due for her review in two weeks' time (after starting her on the prescription diet).

"Oh, you're trying to put me on a new prescription diet food har! We shall see lor..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rice as a main ingredient is not necessary bad, IMO. It's actually easier to digest and is found in some good quality kitten dry food together with meat. I always have this nagging question about overly high protein content.

Re the RC Indoor 27, did you realise the first and chief ingredient is corn, and not meat? My current bulk purchase dry food is RC Fit 32 which is not so much corn-based.

I'll try to mix the Sc Diet with more of the RC 32 for the comm. cats but if they're smart enough to pick out only the RC while leaving the SD behind, then it won't work. :P

MightyMouse said...

I've the ingredients list of RC Indoor 27 somewhere but couldn't find it. I'm gonna do a comparison before deciding on which brand to switch to after Nutro.

Good luck with "deceiving" the comm. cats! Braun and Skoda would pick out the RC and leave the SD untouched :I