Sunday, February 22, 2009

Project S (IX)

I last left off on the release of the third batch of cats on 15 Feb. On the same day, we trapped another three cats and had them sterilised (2 were spayed and 1 neutered). They were released back at Site X on Wed, 18 Feb. I forgot to bring my camera and so I wouldn't have their photos on record. One is a brown tabby (pregnant); one is a white/grey cat (pregnant, same colour combination as Azrael/Gargamel) and Cat no. 5 (the sweet white/orange boy - we've named him Ginger Boy). And on the same night of 18 Feb, we trapped one female who was spayed and released yesterday, 21st Feb.

With this, I'd say I've completed Phase 1 of Project S - having successfully sent cats who conceivably could be rounded up/trapped for sterilisation. Altogether, 17 cats (11 females and 6 males) had been sterilised over the five rounds. I'm thankful that Grimlock is supportive of my doing (and for his practical help). We wish to keep a low profile in our undertaking of Project S - onsite and non-disclosure of the site's exact location here. The recent and constant cases of cat abuses serve us caution. I earnestly hope that the dumping at Site X will stop and for the numbers to stablise. So far, I've stopped seeing kittens at Site X so I take this as a good sign.

We'll stop, for now, the rounding up/trapping of cats for sterilisation and re-assess the situation. My wallet gets to take a break too :)

The next phase will be a challenging one because we're talking about difficult targets, ie these are cats who:
1) Hang out at Site X at a timing different from my rounds;
2) Are very scaredy/cautious in nature, including that one or two who got away or got spooked from seeing us in action; or
3) Make phantom appearances at Site X.

The updated tally of unsterilised cats looks something like this:
1) The Siamese (we haven't seen him since the last sighting);
2) White cat with brown patches on her back (scaredy one);
3) Scrawny kid (who was last seen hanging out together with the white cat);
4) And possibly another 2-3 brown tabbies.

We'll try to befriend the cautious ones and continue to monitor the situation. We bumped into a cat welfare volunteer, F during our round on 18 Feb. I gave her my contact number. Looks like we're not alone afterall in keeping an eye out for the cats at Site X.

No comments: