Zep Zep snoozed through almost the entire time they were here. The sweet girl did a good job though in charming them with her varied sleeping patterns. Three pairs of eyes (N, E and mine) were looking at her while she slept on :) We spoke at length on what would be involved and both E and I shared our experience/tips on cat care, and bits of Zapedii's traits/habits.
When I asked N if she needed time to think it over further, her reply was an instant affirmative. The little voice in me tells me she just might be Zep's special someone and Grimlock was in concurrence too. N would need time to prepare her home and get some stuff for Zep Zep. Just before they were leaving the Cove, Zep Zep woke up and they got to take a better look at her. N was to come on Sat, 23rd Aug to bring Zep Zep back to her home.
Alas, a drama unfolded on Thurs, 21st Aug. Zep Zep was more vocal than usual. By the time night descended, I suspected she might be in heat. She kept making bone-chilling, hideous wails and doing flips on the floor. I did a Google search on the symptoms and was certain she is in heat. The gang were spayed before they came into heat. I rang N up because I didn't think Zep Zep could go home with her as planned. We agreed to arrange for Zep Zep to be spayed. N still wanted to bring her home on Sat, 23rd Aug but looking at how frequent, intense and disturbing her calling was, I advised her not to until the spaying was done. I'd want Zep Zep to start off on a better note at her new home, not drive everyone up the wall on her arrival. I went without sleep on Thurs, 21st Aug.
Dr K was already fully taken up for Sat, 23rd Aug so I made an appointment instead with Dr D who was the vet on-duty Sun, 24 Aug. On Fri, 22nd Aug night, the noise was so nerve-wrecking that I called up the Animal Recovery Centre to see if there was a slot for Sat, 23rd Aug. The Centre does not spay cats in heat. Before we retired for the day, I played 'fly fly' with Zep Zep for a good 30mins. It helped to tire her out and she was less noisy that night.
When I brought Skoda's urine sample for review on Sat, 23rd Aug, I checked with Dr K on the possible risks of spaying a cat while in heat. He said the blood level would be higher and the uterus would be enlarged, and the surgery area would be wider. More importantly, the cat's life would not be put in danger. The calling might still continue for 2-3 days after the spaying. I also asked about side effects and whether the recovery would take a longer time, both of which would not be the case. For kittens, if sterilisation is not done, the heat period would keep coming back and if we're to wait till the heat period is over, medication might not work in suppressing the symptoms. I updated N and we agreed to let Zep Zep remain at the Cove after the surgery and see if the calling would stop. In the night, I played 'fly fly' with Zep Zep, for just 20 mins and in a less intensive manner, in view of her surgery the next day.
The fewer quiet moments in the day...
After being deprived of proper sleep for three consecutive nights, I'm down with flu again. The weather has made it worst for me. I don't regret keeping Zep Zep with us throughout this time. Grimlock is also feeling the stress. We only want the best for Zep Zep and we'll stick it out together, and with her. It makes a lot of difference when two minds are the same. This too will come to pass. I cannot help but wonder if her previous owner, knowing what was coming, had thrown her out for the same reason...
N came along and met up with us at the veterinary clinic this morning and she paid for the sterilisation. Zep Zep has been registered at the clinic under her new name, Miu Miu :) We also had a blood test done to check if the anesthesia would cause any complications. We were delighted to hear that Miu Miu is in the pink of health. Dr D said the ALKP (liver) and PLT (platelet) indicators are slightly higher because she is a young cat and she is nervous, respectively. She also commented Miu Miu is going to be a sassy girl ;) The girl was already putting up a fight in the cage (while waiting for surgery).
The blood test results:

The veterinary clinic just rang to inform that we can bring Miu Miu home. The girl has already come about. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery...



Skoda (29 Oct 2005 - 29 May 2015 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Braun (18 Mar 2006 - 11 Jun 2013 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Mikki
2 comments:
Ahh...that was what I feared most when I first took in the two cat sisters. Once they've settled down at home, I couldn't wait to spay them and booked any clinic that could do both almost immediately.
she is really a beauty!! Glad to know she will be in good hand. N will take very good care of her! :D
-S
Post a Comment