Friday, October 06, 2006

My Own Drama

I went through a drama myself on last Sunday...

I came down with a cough and flu on 22nd Sept. I almost finished the medication, I still was unwell so I went to see the doctor a second time. I was diagnosed with a viral infection and put on antibiotics. While I was sick, I suddenly coughed and hurt my back. Tried self-therapy by rubbing Tiger Balm and pasting Tiger Balm plasters on my back. My backache somehow got better but my cough didn't go away and I still had a slight running nose (already finished my second course of medication).

Back to MY drama on Sunday, 1st Oct... In the morning, I suddenly made a few continuous big, 'strong' sneezes. I had already 'injured' my back a few days back so this 'outburst' kind of made things worst - I sprained my back. I had to get up real slow, couldn't sit for long and couldn't bend nor squat.

It was already mid-day so I quickly ringed up my mom and brother for 'sinseh' contacts. Grimlock accompanied me to a "tui na" shop in Jalan Bukit Merah. The shop was very smoky because part of it is devoted to some fortune-telling activities. The man pressed real hard on the front of my ankle and my arm (I kept shrieking when he did that). After he finished pressing, my back felt 'loosened up' and the pain seemed to be gone. He made several comments about my state of health (my back problem is supposed to be related to this) and recommended that I take some pills that cost $12 for a daily dosage, to be taken over 40 days. So this would come up to $480. In my state of blurness (and maybe too overjoyed that the pain was gone), I almost took up the prescription until I finally 'woke up' and told him I would think it over and we left the shop.

We then walked over to an adjourning block to check out something. It was just about 8-10 minutes later and the pain came back and this helped me decide not to take up the prescription afterall (I doubt his credentials) .

We took a cab to Causeway Point to visit a shop that my brother recommended. Turned out that the shop only does foot reflexology and not 'tui na' for back sprains. It was already close to 6pm so we decided to go home (it was a Sunday, the other shops would have closed). I had to bear with the pain. Before I slept, Grimlock helped me rub Tiger Balm and paste Tokuhan plasters on my back. If I hadn't taken medical leave the week before and serving probation, I would take the Monday off.

My back felt slightly better when I woke up (2nd Oct). Went to work and I had to be very careful with my movements, keeping them to a minimal. In the evening, I went to a sinseh whom I used to visit - he does accupuncture which I feel more comfortable with, as compared to 'tui na'. For the first time, I had accupuncture done on my back. Immediately, I felt the difference and the sustained relief. He also prescribed a bottle of medication for my running nose and cough and to strengthen my back.

As at this evening, my running nose has stopped, still got a little cough (no more phelgm) and a little soreness at my lower back. I will monitor. I should be finishing my medication by this Sunday. Will see if I should make a second visit on next Monday.

Who would think so much drama can result from sneezing?!?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesus had died and rose again. Christ Jesus had accepted all our sickness and diseases.(Isaiah 53.4,5; Surely He has borne oor griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgression; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.)