About a month ago, Grimlock and I noticed a growing colony of stray cats (I don't think they are sterilised) at Site X. Several are young kittens. My plan is to round them up for sterilisation (I've code-named this as Project S) because the food source at this site is limited and with the rate the colony is growing, I fear it will soon warrant the "wrong" kind of public attention. I estimate there are about 12-15 cats in the area.
In view of our limited resources (manpower, transportation, pet carriers and arrangements for post-surgery recovery), I contacted CWS to see if there is any volunteer/caregiver who would be interested to embark on Project S with us. We've no experience with trapping of community cats so I thought it would be good if we can find someone with experience to do it together with us the first-time round. The CWS volunteer passed me the contacts of two caregivers, the contact of V who is a "professional trapper" and the volunteer herself shared some tips with me (she is a fellow blogger involved in Project Kuching Coast).
btw, I'd not be eligible for the CWS sterilisation reimbursement because there is a certain minimum gross monthly salary (I confess I'm still stumped on the logic). I'm fine with bearing the sterilisation costs on my own because I'm clear why I want to do this (and Grimlock aka my partner-in-crime is supportive :) ). I think our regular veterinary clinic, Mount Pleasant Springside extends a concessionary rate for sterilisation of community cats.
We hadn't been to Site X since a month ago (I've been very tied up at work and weekends weren't any better). I'm a little better for time now (and also before the colony grows any further), so we made a trip there yesterday, 2nd Nov to get an update. We were there in the late afternoon and only spotted one cat - this took us by surprise. What has happened to the other cats? I hope nothing untoward has happened to them... It rained heavily earlier in the day. I'll make another trip there sometime this week.
Monday, November 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Skoda (29 Oct 2005 - 29 May 2015 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Braun (18 Mar 2006 - 11 Jun 2013 ~ Dearly loved and deeply missed)
Mikki
2 comments:
prob best to sterilise the kittens when they are at least 4 months. although it would be hard to keep track of them if there isn't a constant food supply at the site. great of you to be doing this! If V is who i think he is, he is good!
The place is not near to my home but I hope to swing by more often to establish some pattern on when the kittens and the tom cat "surface" and a more accurate number.
Post a Comment