Saturday, August 11, 2007

Get Well Soon! (II)

Brought Braun to her vet this morning. The slots were already all taken up for the day. The nurse asked that I bring her on Monday. After I related the urgency, the nurse kindly agreed to "squeeze" Braun in. When I took the pet taxi out, the smart girl knew what was going to happen and ran into hiding. I rounded her up in the room and quickly whisked her into the pet taxi and rushed down to the vet. Grimlock had to work today. Thank God I still can manage Braun's weight. When we weighed her on Wed, 8 Aug at the vet's - she tipped around 3.5kg - her weight has stayed the same.

I updated the vet on how much Braun detested the oral medication and the stress the feeding is causing her and us. He gave her a Dexafort injection (anti-inflammatory). He is unable to give her any injection for antibiotic that would stay in prolonged effect. Braun's review is to be brought forward, in one week's time. The blood clog had subsided slightly. He said the peeling on her hind paw was due to contact with chemical and asked if we used bleach to clean our floor. Of course not! But we do use a floor liquid detergent. He said we'd have to wipe a second round using just water so as to remove all traces of the floor detergent. I was just looking at Skoda's and Mikki's paws when they were snoozing yesterday and don't recall seeing a similar peeling on them. Anyway, there is a slight redness on some of Braun's toes so I guess the extra diligence would be necessary. I'll be bringing her back on Thurs, 16 Aug evening.

When we touched home, Skoda and Mikki came immediately to "receive" us. Did they think I brought Braun out for an adventure without them? I could tell Braun was very happy to be home from her reactions. She stuck out and kept swiping her paw as if hoping to break free from the pet taxi. It was sweet watching how Skoda and Mikki came around Braun.

The first thing Braun did when she was "set free" was to spend a good 10 minutes licking herself. I supposed this is therapeutic for cats, it has a calming effect. After that, she settled down at one of her favourite snoozing spots for her nap. Good to see her so at home.

There was some nice sun coming in onto the dining table. Skoda wasted no time in getting her dose of vitamin D...

Three is never a crowd when it comes to a siesta party...

4 comments:

auntie p said...

Skoda seems to be a lot bigger than the other 2 cats. Does she eat a lot more than the others?

MightyMouse said...

Yes, Skoda is THE heavy-weight :) When she was little, I was often worried she didn't have enough (and overfed her). She was the only cat then and we worked long hours, so I think she picked up an appetite partly due to boredom. Skoda was slightly chubby before her spaying. She gradually put on more weight after her spaying.

Her current intake size seems normal/acceptable to me (according to her age and weight). She doesn't graze as often as Braun and Mikki. We changed the kibbles brand/formula and now leave out a small portion of kibbles in the afternoons (hard to stop free feeding completely), and I cut-back on the amount of treats for Skoda. We're supposed to help her lose 1kg but we aren't seeing results.

auntie p said...

By leaving kibbles out, you wouldn't know which cat ate them. ;)

So, after they reach a certain (fatter) weight, I guess they will sort of maintain that weight (if free feeding is continued)?

MightyMouse said...

Yup, sort of (but still need to put the controls are in place).