Saturday, December 29, 2007

Alone but Not Lonely

I came across this article in The Straits Times some time back and it struck a chord with me. I've read a few articles by the writer and it seems we're on the same wavelength on certain issues.

I'm good too at doing things alone. Yup, I can shop alone and eat in restaurants alone. I take lunch on weekdays most of the time on my own. That one-hour is a precious mid-day break. I've no wish to dwell on work matters nor engage in office politics (it exists - just more or less of it, but I can decide how I wanna control my own tongue). I'm selective in who I take lunch with. Doesn't matter if I'm not part of the "in-group". I don't "bite" and I'm not a recluse so my colleagues know I'm generally approachable.

I enjoy spending time just with myself. I want to be able to disconnect myself from the buzz, madness, activities, confusion...and take a step back and reflect, refocus and rejoice (ie take time to count my blessings). I'm thankful that Grimlock gives me a lot of personal space and he can be left to his own devices. I'm fine attending social gatherings/functions on my own without him - sometimes, I don't want to have to "keep an eye out for him" and be able to spend quality time with old friends, for instance and other times, why drag him along and bore him to tears.

Very few people enjoy solitude (and yet remain sane) so I'm glad to have found another person who does so :)

No comments: