Sunday, June 24, 2007

Kitty Love

I had to work yesterday and was at the NUS Cultural Centre. Actually there wasn't much to do. Feeling very bored, I popped in to the Lee Kong Chian Art Museum and ended up having a very good time browsing through five exibitions at the Museum (admission is free). These were "Modern Southeast Asian Art", "Bodies and Relationships: Selected Works of Lee Sik Khoon", "Picturing Relations: Simryn Gill & Tino Djumini", "Ways of Seeing Chinese Art" and "Responding to the Divide: David Kwo". It was the last one that I enjoyed most, for an obvious reason.

"Responding to the Divide: David Kwo"
Synopsis: From landscapes and figures to flowers and birds, David Kwo painted a variety of subjects interpreted through traditional Chinese brush techniques and Western styles. He is most famous for his portrayal of small animals, especially cats and dogs that became his hallmark.

On display are paintings influenced by Fauvism, the Bauhaus, Cubism and Abstract Expressionism. Kwo’s artistic tendency, the assimilation of Eastern and Western techniques and an integration of the artist’s varied training and influences, lasted a lifetime. Kwo sought to build a bridge between his native and adopted culture that allowed a conciliation of the two. He blended the disciplined art of calligraphic brushstrokes and composition with Western emphasis on freedom, creativity and improvisation.

David Kwo became acquainted with the first Vice-Chancellor of the Singapore university, Dato Lee Kong Chian. In 2003, he donated 105 paintings to the Lee Kong Chian Art Museum of the National University of Singapore. This exhibition features over 50 significant pieces of the late artist. Runs till 1 Dec 07.

There was a section of his paintings titled Small Animals. An extract of the section introduction: "He had a special affinity for all animals, especially cats which he became famous for. His earlier works were in classical black and white but he later experimented with bright playful colours. With ink and deft strokes of his brush, Kwo captured the essence and personalities of cats, dogs and birds." Here are his cats paintings:

Kim was an impromptu creation one summer day in 1957. A few brilliantly executed brush strokes laden with thick ink captured the silhouette and expression of the cat. Its furry body seems to be supported by a long and sinewy tail while its orange slit eyes are hauntingly provocative. After hanging it up on the wall, the artist found himself the target of the cat's relentless gaze, which never once left him. He was so overwhelmed with joy and excitement that he decided to publish copies of his painting. And so, the American public came to know and embrace Kim and its master.

Kim
1957, Ink on paper, 66 x 38 cm

In 1999, Kwo produced four paintings of cats with backgrounds of random geometric shapes in bright colours. They might remind viewers of stained glass art found in churches. Although the multiple hues brighten the entire picture, they also overwhelm the main subjects of the painting.

Three Cats with Blue Eyes
1999, Ink and acrylic on paper, 96 x 73 cm






How does one give a new face to familiar and finite subject? Kwo had been looking for inspiration in other works of art and experimenting with all possible techniques. Up to the early 1980s, Kwo's works were basically rendered in the traditional xieyi (illustrating the subject's meaning) style. From 1984, he started to experiment with colour decoration and filling the entire space. It culminated in the birth of his xieyi + abstract decorative style of expression.

Three Cats
1999, Ink and acrylic on paper, 96.5 x 71.5 cm
Apart from three works produced in the 1950s, Mimi (1983) is the earliest in the 105 donated works. A few strokes were all it took to bring to life the cat's innocence and cuteness. The cat's dark eye circles make its pair of yellow eyes exceptionally bright. It can be said that the spirit of a good work of art lies in the "dotting of the dragon's eyes".

Cat Named Mimi
1983, Ink and acrylic on paper, 28.5 x 33.2 cm
In Cats and Sparrows, a fish seems to have been completely swallowed by a black cat. A brown cat lies on the floor and is been harassed by the black cat and several sparrows. An attempt at a three-dimensional expression has been made here.

Cats and Sparrows
1992, Ink and acrylic on paper, 61 x 53 cm
I did a Google search but couldn't find an official website on David Kwo. At the Museum, I read that he was born in 1919 in Beijing, China. He spent several years in U.S. and taught briefly in Singapore. He died in 2005 of prostrate cancer, aged 86. At the ripe old age of 84, Kwo was still painting (he indicated his age on some of the paintings). I would have wanted to find out why this love for cats, whether he had any cats (if yes: how many, any gingers, what their names were, if he had a favourite), any other cat paintings etc. Too bad I can't paint/draw, otherwise I'd be so inspired to use my girls as models. I'm sticking to photography for now. I'm also keen on ceramics - just wait till I pick up the course. By the way, I took these photos with my handphone, a Sony Ericsson W810i - quality is not too bad.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

About the Artist Dr. David Kwo. I have one of his great paintings..it's a dog..Dr. Kwo died in Nutley NJ. His wife is Rita and he has a daughter Dr. Sophia Kwo who is a plastic surgeon in NY.
Kwo wrote a book back in 1981 which is, to this day, THE book for Brushstroke and Caligraphy painting..He taught at many famous schools in the US...He must have been a nice man..and by the way..the cats he painted WERE his cats..His famous painting of "KIM" his black cat belongs to his daughter. He even offered lessons in old Family Circle magazines way back in the 70's...He has taught at Fordham University, Seton Hall U, Calwell College, Upsala College, Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts and lectured at such places as: Yale, Brown & Harvard.

MightyMouse said...

Hi gsdmoonshadow,

Thanks for the additional info on Dr Kwo. When I did the Google search, there were quite a few references/links to his book on Brushstroke and Calligraphy painting.

The painting you've by Dr Kwo must be a treasure. What I remember most about his paintings on animals is his ability to capture the "spirit" of his subjects with a few simple strokes and the strokes possess great depth.

If you've a blog, I'd request for you to post a photo of this painting in your possession :)

Anonymous said...

I have a "Sheba by Kwo", what can you tell me? Thanks

Anonymous said...

i have an original kwo titled sheba. does anyone know about this piece? i am having a hard time finding info.

Unknown said...

Met Dr David Kwo when he held an exhibition of Chinese Paintings in December 1985 in Brunei. Have 2 of his paintings, Blue Morning Glory & Kitten and Prosperity & Birds as well as a personalised autographed copy of Kim. He also did 4 portraits (sketches) on glass of my family members during his stay in Brunei. We also have X'mas cards, Valentine card and letters he sent to my family.

Anonymous said...

Met Dr David Kwo in 1985 in Brunei when he held an Exhibition of Chinese Paintings. Have 2 of his paintings, Blue Morning Glory & Kitten and Prosperity & Birds as well as a personalised autographed copy of Kim. He also did 4 portraits (sketches) on glass of my family members while he was visiting Brunei. Have X'mas card, Valentine card and letters that he sent my family.

MightyMouse said...

Anonymous: What I wrote on the posting (titled Kitty Love) is all I know about the artist. This was supplemented by what gsdmoonshadow posted in this comment box. I made another posting dated 26 Nov concerning your request for more info on Sheba.

Hi, Geok Pheck: Wow, you and your family had the privilege to be aquainted with Dr Kwo and to have his paintings and sketches.

Gsdmoonshadow/Anonymous/Geok Pheck: Would it be possible for you to take photos of Dr Kwo's paintings in your collection and email them to me (mycatscove@gmail.com)? I'd love to take a look at them and share them with my blog readers? Thanks!

btw, I came across a website where his paintings are put up for sale -http://www.artforum.com.sg/artists_by_country/singapore/david_kwo.html

Anonymous said...

I and my then wife bought several of David's paintings in the mid-70s. They had been exhibited at the Montclari Museum. He framed them for us. She knew him as a student at Upsala. When we divorced, she kept them. I miss them and him. He was a marvelous man--unassuming, a mix of traditonal culture and American modern, and a pleasure to be around. He explained the work's appeal as mu and shi and yin and yang. Makes perfect sense. Would love to know where to buy some of his work.

Cyra said...

HI,
MY NAME IS CYRA. I'M AN ARTIST. I BOUGHT THIS WEEKEND A PRINT FROM (PENN PRINTS NY) OF A POODLE NAMED "BELLE", AND SAYS KWO.
LOOKS DAVID KWO STYLE.
THIS PRINT IS OLD...I WANT TO KNOW WHO DID IT,AND IF HAS ANY VALUE.
I CAN'T FIND ANY INFORMATION ON INTERNET. MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME.
THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE.

MDW said...

We have a Zack and Zoe lithograph of Siamese cats painted by Dr. Kwo. An identical pair is currently on sale on eBay. We just adore ours as we have two real Siamese as well. We never knew who the artist was until recently. Thanks for sharing this information!

MDW said...

We inherited a pair of Siamese prints from our family, zack and Zoe, and we treasure them, as we also have two real Siamese. We never knew who the artist was until recently. Thanks for sharing the information. There are some overprints on sale at eBay dating the prints at 1961.